Sunday, May 10, 2015

BRIGG GRAMMAR SCHOOL CROSS-COUNTRY MEMORIES

FROM FORMER BRIGG RESIDENT CLIFF TURNER, IN NEW ZEALAND

Your picture of Clothes Hedge Path  reminded me of the Brigg Grammar School cross-country races in which I ran in 1939 and 1940. By the time the 1941 race came round I was in the navy. The course was from school, down Clothes Hedge to its end and then across three fields to Gravel Pit Lane and into Wrawby; right turn to the church then left as far as Barton Road where another left turn brought us where the Barton and Grimsby roads  meet (or diverge). A right turn down a muddy lane took us to the north end of Grammar School Road and from there back to school. Does the cross country race still take place?
Until I was well into my 80s I thought Clothes Hedge was Close Hedge.
N.F. ADDS: In answer to the question, we seem to recall the cross-country was replaced by laps of  the Nelthorpe school field. Can anyone confirm that?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow, great, I was wondering how to cure acne naturally. and found your site by google, learned a lot, now i’m a bit clear. I’ve bookmark your site and also add rss. keep us updated. https://eleganteduc.netlify.com