Thursday, August 07, 2014

BRIGG HORSE FAIR & OTHER MEMORIES FROM CLIFF TURNER IN NEW ZEALAND

How we loved the horse fair when I was a boy. Horses were mainly in Queen Street, Wrawby Street (around the White Horse) and a little way up Grammar School Road
I see the space next to my old home in Princes Street is to be built on. When I lived there there were two houses. Next to us was Miss Lonsdale, a rather superior lady  who made a living dressmaking. I used to run errands for her.
Next to her were Mr and Mrs George Ellis. He was the water bailiff and had a canoe in which he paddled up and down the Ancholme making sure anglers had paid for a fishing licence. When on one of my trips home I found the houses had been demolished I could not understand why this had happened  as I think they were as good as the remaining five.

No comments: