Wednesday, September 15, 2010

TAXI PLEA

I don't think I've hired a taxi in Brigg since that great character, Stan Witty, put white ribbons on his and got me back from St John's Church on time - following my marriage to Mrs F, very nearly a quarter-of-a-century ago.
However, Blog follower Angela Knight has emailed us, suggesting the town is short of taxi provision. She moved to Brigg 18 months ago and likes our town very much. However, having given up driving due to age, she now needs to use taxis and can't always get what she wants (to quote the words of the song) when she wants it.
"I used to live in a much smaller town but it supported three taxi companies, all of which were willing to accept fares throughout the day, every day, including late nights and weekends," she says.
NF adds: Who remembers Whelpton's taxis and Turnball's? I have childhood memories of Whelpton's big black vehicle arriving at our house to be loaded up with holiday cases and taking us to Brigg station. Well, the fact we were catching a passenger train there on the first leg of a journey to the south coast suggests how long ago it was. Back in the 1960s.

3 comments:

On foot from Barnetby said...

Try getting a taxi from Barnetby station on a Saturday afternoon. Cary lane taxi`s don`t open until 7 o`clock ish. The good side is a few beers at Whistle and flute.

Ken Harrison said...

Does your missus know you got married to this Mrs F. 25 years ago, Nige?

On the few occasions I've phoned for a taxi, I have had some difficulty getting thro' to the office.
But when I've phoned from Tesco on the designated phone, taxis seem to be bursting a gut to get there.
I don't know whether the Tesco phone goes to the same office, whether calls are diverted, or go somewhere else.

Anonymous said...

Have you call Ian's Private Hire to see if he can help