Monday, June 14, 2010

TRADITIONAL FIXTURE KEPT ALIVE

Tomorrow night (Tues) sees the traditional friendly cricket match between Sir John Nelthorpe School and a side representing the Briggensians' Association - the Old Boys of the current comprehensive and one or two of us who are old enough to have been educated at Brigg Grammar School, which disappeared in 1976. The match is at the school in Brigg and players are asked to meet there for 6pm.
This fixture is a survivor from the era when it was quite common to see Old Boys v School being played across Lincolnshire. We usually have the Brigg one on a Friday night but this year a change has been necessary.
The call to turn out for the Old Boys only reached me last night and I know little about the line-ups, other than to say that if you are a duly qualified Old Boy of Sir John Nelthorpe School, or Brigg Grammar, and you feel like playing, or just coming along to watch, please ring Lee Fielden on 07787715825.
As a Brigg Grammar pupil in the early 1970s I can recall playing against the Old Boys, which must have been 1971/2/3. However, the fixture dates back much further than that.
We also used to have a July game between a School X1 and the Staff, which was watched by the entire school and played as an afternoon/evening game during the final week of the school year. I played in a few of those, once making a decent score as we chased down a sizeable target - but by then all the spectators had climbed on their buses and gone home.

3 comments:

Ken Harrison said...

If you play, Nige, you'll probably need a runner!

Ken Harrison said...

PS I've checked me dairy....and I'm not milking the cows tomorrow, Nige, so if you're playing and want someone to run between the wickets for you, I'm the man.

They don't call me the Wrawby's Streaky Rasher for nothing. When I've built up a head of steam, inertia keeps me going and I may need a wide sweep around ground for any seconds, but I'm sure you manage plenty of 6's so I won't have to exert myself over much.

I could wear a pair of specs, carry a pencil, talk about trains and folks will think I'm you.

NIGEL FISHER said...

I believe in scoring them in fours and sixes, Ken. No need to use a runner!